Frequently Asked Questions


Do you always have bricks in stock?

Yes, we always have bricks in stock.  We only require notice for orders of over 5,000 bricks.

Will the old red bricks have paint on them?

Depending upon where the bricks have come from, occasionally they may have paint on one side.

How do I remove the residual lime mortar from my bricks?


Any residual lime mortar should be able to be removed using a wire brush  depending upon its extent and strength.  Often the lime mortar will gradually wear away with foot traffic.


Any residual lime mortar is best removed using a high pressure cleaner (gernie).  Walls can also be lightly acid washed as required.

How many bricks can I fit in a standard 6 x 4 trailer?

A normal 6 x 4 trailer can safely carry approximately 200 – 300 bricks.

Do you sell fire bricks?

Technically the old red bricks that we sell are not fire bricks.  A fire brick is a new type of brick which has been purposely created for its specific insulation properties.  While old red bricks are not technically fire bricks, it is possible to use them for their insulating qualities.  Old red bricks have been successfully used for pizza ovens, fire places and fire pits for many years.  We do however recommend using one of the harder varieties of our bricks such as the shale or pressed red to avoid any premature cracking.

Do you sell non-red bricks / cream bricks?

Generally, no.  Occasionally we may have limited numbers of cream bricks and other non-red bricks in stock.  Cream bricks are generally not recycled and are difficult to obtain second-hand.

Do you sell recycled pavers and concrete pavers?

No – we generally do not sell recycled pavers and concrete pavers.

Do you sell roof tiles?

No – unfortunately we do not sell roof tiles.

How quickly can I have my bricks delivered once I have placed an order?

We normally require at least two business days’ notice prior to delivery.  We cannot deliver on weekends.

What is the best product to fill gaps between bricks used for paving?

We use a mixture of cement and quarry sand.  Pavelock is another more expensive option.

Can you use old red bricks in driveways? Will they withstand the weight of a car?

Yes – depending upon the type of brick.  We suggest using a harder brick such as a pressed red or shale.  Hard sandstocks and wire-cuts have also been used successfully in driveways in the past.

What are the standard dimensions and weights of an old red brick?

Please refer to the table located on our Old Red Brick page which sets out the weights and measurements of our bricks.


How do I get a demolition quote for my house?

Please phone our office on (08) 8347 2419 and our staff will assist you, or simply email the details of your job to and we will respond with a written quote.

How long will it take to demolish my house?

We usually advise clients to allow at least one full week for the demolition of their house.

How much notice do I need to provide to schedule in my demolition job?

Generally we require at least three weeks’ notice of the proposed demolition start date (however if greater notice is possible, that is preferable).

What do I need to do before organising demolition?

It is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure that the gas has been cut off and the electricity has been disconnected by SA Power Networks prior to the commencement of the demolition.  The water connection is to remain connected as the operator will disconnect the water meter and use the water for dust and debris control during demolition.

It is also important to ensure that you have approval from the local council for demolition prior to the start date.

All items that are to be kept by the owner must be removed from the property before the demolition start date and you should notify us of any items or trees that are to remain.

It is also wise to inform neighbouring property owners of the impending demolition and potential increase in noise, traffic and dust.

Can you do my council/development application for me?

Generally it is more convenient for clients to fill out and lodge their council/development application, however in certain circumstances we can assist with this.  Some councils also require you to provide details of the proposed demolition procedure, and we can also assist with providing such information if required.

Connect with us on Facebook